How To Get Rid of Earwigs Effectively?
Earwigs commonly treated as outdoor pests can get in the house and it can be a nightmare to deal with severe infestation. But the good news is that there are a lot of products available in the market and after all, earwig is not a nasty pest to deal with.
Identifying Earwig Infestation
You need to understand the life cycle of earwig as you should know where the infestation is residing and how long will it take to increase the entire population of earwigs.
- Female earwigs lay 40 to 50 shiny eggs in subversive areas. The eggs are sheltered from predators and hatch in about a week, making it very tricky to manage earwig populations before they hatch.
- Nymphs only emerge to be tiny versions of adult earwigs. They shack several layers of skins, and ten weeks later, they reach maturity.
Signs of Earwig Damage
- Little holes half eaten may be seen on plant leaves overnight.
- There will also probably be a diffusion of earwig excrement, which will be black.
- Damage will often occur after rainy weather, which forces earwigs to seek dry shelter and climb up into plants and leaves.
Spray and Baits:
There is a broad spectrum of baits, sprays and traps available in the market for treating and getting rid of earwigs. However the usage depends on the method that is safe to use and from the user satisfaction is guaranteed in terms of performance.
Do It Yourself Tips Techniques For Earwigs
Yes, newspapers can be this productive too. Other than just providing the latest happenings they can serve as a killing weapon for earwigs also. All you need to do is roll over make it wet. Then tie it firmly with a string and position it where you have noticed earwigs. As already discussed, earwigs do have temptation for wet and damp places they will directly crawl into the newspaper roll and will get stuck. For effective results add few drops of oil with the water.
Blow them off using Vacuum cleaner
Using your vacuum cleaner is another home remedy to eliminate earwigs indoors. Its better you blow them off without using the vacuum bag. Else if you want to use vacuum bag don’t forget to dispose of the bag full of insects as they might produce the rotten smell in few hours if they are left inside.
Another method of using a vacuum cleaner is using a nylon or muslin stocking wrap on the nozzle of the vacuum with the help of a rubber band. This will serve as a mini vacuum bag and thus earwigs will not be collected at the bottom of the vacuum cleaner.
Earwig Killing Spray Using Spices Recipe
Spices are frequently used in earwig killing sprays, which is suitable bearing in mind most households have the essential spices handy. For making an effective earwig killing homemade spray, you would need the following ingredients:
- Six cloves of garlic,
- One tablespoon of cayenne pepper,
- One tablespoon of dish soap and approximately
- One quart of water.
Mix together the ingredients using a blender and let the mixture to sit for a day.
Filter out any remaining solid matters from the mixture and pour the liquid into a spray bottle. Start the experiment by testing the solution on the plant by spraying only few areas and wait for the results for another day to see what results you get.
If the process is working on your earwigs, keep on spraying your plants every early morning, as this will let the solution to trickle in by the end of the day.
Fish Oil and vegetable oil trappers
Earwig traps are comparatively easy to build, particularly if you have all the essential ingredients and container around your house. And If you don’t, go to your local convenience store and buy them up. All you need to do is take a can or container, if possibly the size of a fish can, or a condensed milk can. Fill in the container just about halfway with fish oil or vegetable oil.
Once you’ve filled your small can, place it on potential ground area to where the earwigs may be attacking your vegetable garden or plant pots. Then, place a cardboard tube near the can and put some oatmeal or bran within the tube to attract and catch earwigs. The next morning, shake the earwigs into a bucket of bubbly water, as this will sink the insects consequently.
Diatomaceous Earth Trick to Killing Earwigs
Diatomaceous earth is universal pesticides known to help get rid of many bugs, including earwigs. The diatoms in diatomaceous earth can literally scrape the exterior of earwigs and draw out any oil or waxes the insects may have within their bodies, as a result, dehydrating them and thus, making them dead bugs.
Also, If you want to manage earwigs presence and discourage them away from your organic matter and flower beds, spray some diatomaceous earth around your plants as a defensive fence. If it has rained or been very moist in the area where you live, be very certain to apply diatomaceous earth to your entire plantation nearby, as the dampness can have an effect on its ability to work.
Applying some Petroleum Jelly
One of the most useful and handy tricks is using a small amount of petroleum jelly. All you need to do is to cover the stems of your plants with petroleum jelly with the help of a cotton bud or a small wooden stick. This would avert earwigs from crawling on to the plants surface.
Using Soya sauce mixture
This is another handy trick to get rid of earwigs around your house. You just have to mix equal quantity of soya sauce and vegetable oil. Fill a small container with this solution and seal it with a lid. Then make small holes on the lid which will allow earwigs to enter the container. Next you need to bury the container filled with mixture in the soil in a way that it lid holes are visible. Ultimately, the soy sauce will act as a magnet for the earwigs, and the oil will help in trapping them. Make sure you change the mixture daily.
Using Insecticidal soaps
According to G. Alston, an entomologist with the Utah State University, lists down some effective insecticides for an effective earwig control and readily accessible for users.
According to the list, You can use insecticidal soaps which destroy earwigs on contact, though, take into consideration that they do not have a left over consequences. Also, you will have to employ a lot of insecticidal soaps to cover the area for achieving a reasonable result.
(Diatomaceous Earth and Pyrethrin)
Bifenthrin, Cyfluthrin, Cypermethrin, Deltamethrin, Lambda-Cyhalothrin, Permethrin
Preventing Ear Wig Infestation At The First Place
First and foremost trick for getting rid of these little monsters is abolishing their hiding areas. If the earwig living is not properly addressed, insecticide utilization will not be completely effective. Therefore, for controlling earwigs completely following prevention tips can be taken into consideration:
- Clean Up the areas around – you need to Move landscape woods, logs, ornamental stones, and fire logs piles away from the gardens.
- Make a Dry zone – Create an area next to your garden that is absolutely free of remaining matters of plants, mulch, dead leaves, and other organic matter.
- Always trim overgrown Branches – neat all the overgrown trees and shrubs that might cause soggy and shady areas near the house.
- Keep a proper Drainage system – look at gutters and downspouts to make certain they deplete away from the house.
- LED Yellow Bug Light Bulbs- This bulb neither killed nor wards off earwigs, but it gets done a very significant task i.e. makes your house imperceptible to earwigs. As part of a multifaceted pest control strategy, this function is a critical one because you will be able to leave porch lights on in the evening and at night and will not jeopardize tobe a magnet for earwigs which are energetic at the nighttime.
- Seal All the Possible Entry Points – fix doors, add rubber shields to the bottom of doors, make sure window panes do not have cracks or any possible tiny holes in the wood.
- Dry Out Moisture-Prone Areas – A dehumidifier might help in a humid basement for moderating the environment.