Cockroaches are one of the world’s most commonly found house insects. There are plenty of places where these tiny pests can be found but most abundantly are found in warm, moist or dark places. These creepy crawlies when at first invade your home are not much of a nuisance but the real problem starts, when they start growing in number and creep out of every other nook and corner of your house.
These can make your life living hell if aren’t controlled on time and can be found roaming around freely on kitchen shelves, counter top, in cooking utensils, in the pantry, on the ground and washrooms.
Here are some Best Roach baits you must Consider:
Table of Contents
1. Advion Cockroach Gel Bait
Advion Cockroach Gel Bait is one of the most widely used and one of the high performing products designed for targeting all species of including German (also gel bait-averse), American, Australian, Brown, Smokybrown, Oriental, Brownbanded and Asian cockroaches.
Before going in more depth details, lets have a look at comparison table:
It is produced by Syngenta–a Chinese owned global company.
It combines a highly attractive gel based formulation with a potent non-repellent active ingredient which makes it impossible for cockroaches to resist this superior combination and even the toughest populations are quickly controlled.
The active ingredient present in Advion Cockroach Gel Bait includes indoxacarb that is known to be an effective roach killer.Upon entering an insect, indoxacarb is converted into a new molecule which has insect killing properties. This process is activated specifically by the insect’s own enzymes.
Since it is a gel product, it can be easily used both indoors and outdoors.
This product is handy too as it can be used in kitchens and in commercial, industrial, and residential areas. It can be used easily in the smallest places of roach activity such as along crevices, walls under the sink, in cabinets over the windows etc.
It is advised to keep out of reach of children and pets.
2. Combat Max Roach Bait Station
Easiest To Use
- Kills roaches fast
- Kills large roaches and entire nest too
- Effectively kills and non-stop for three months
- Can easily be used near food-handling areas.
- The bait comes enclosed in a station out of the box, which makes it comparatively safer to use
- As other roach bait stations, this needs to be kept out of the reach of pets and children.
- The bait doesn’t stop the reproduction of roaches
Combat roach bait stations are manufactured by a German Global company known as Henkel Ltd. and operates worldwide with leading brands & technologies in three business areas: Laundry & Home Care, Beauty Care and Adhesive Technologies.One of their renowned insect control brand is Combat.
This is one of the best cockroach bait station products for battling many troublesome and bigger roaches.
Mechanism of Action: Combat roach bait station is easy to use and quick to set up and leaves no vapours or smell.
The active ingredients present in this product are Fopronil and hydramethylnon–both of these are fast acting chemicals.
Fipronil works by disrupting the normal function of the central nervous system in insects.It is more toxic to insects than people and pets because it is more likely to bind to insect nerve endings.
Hydramethylnon is a slow-acting stomach poison which gives time to survive long enough to take the bait back to the colony and share it with others, killing off the entire population. Because it infects roaches that have not had direct exposure to the hydramethylnon, it is said the ingredient has a high secondary kill rate
It one of the best products in terms of immediate effectiveness and long-lasting results. In addition is perfect to be used in areas like under sinks, behind toilets and appliances.
Combat roach bait satiation is effective for treating even largest infestation, provided it is placed correctly around the habitat of roaches. It provides effective control against roaches by destroying the entire nest for up to 3 months.
3. Maxforce FC Roach Bait Station
- Leaves no odor or residue
- Can easily be used near food-handling areas.
- Effective for household use and also for commercial areas
- Has long-lasting effect
- Should be kept out of the reach of children and pets
Maxforce roach bait stations are produced by a multinational company called Bayer which deals with a variety of insecticides and pest control products.
Fipronil is the active ingredient in this product. It is highly effective and quick killer and has a long lasting effect. It works by disrupting the normal function of the central nervous system in insects and gives fast control
The Maxforce roach bait stations are very easy to use. Kill wide range of cockroaches including German cockroaches too and do not leave any odor or residue.
Although these bait stations are safe for kids or pets but care should be taken whilst using the product as short term contact with skin can result in slight skin irritation
These roach bait stations can be used in a number of places – in homes near food processing and handling areas in warehouses, in commercial areas, in hospitals, schools etc.
Another positive point about this product is that it has adhesive on back which allows convenient placement on walls or other vertical surfaces
4. Hot Shot Ultra Liquid Bait
No Mess Choice
- Easy to use for small spaces
- Kills roaches fast and their eggs
- Provides food and water source
- Kills both large and small roaches
- Affordable and can work up to two months
- Easy cleanup
- Kills ants too
- Suitable to be used indoors
- The plastic station must be used in a place where the cockroaches will enter it. Otherwise, the product will not work
‘Raid Double Control Small Roach Baits’ are designed for providing relief from severe roach problems whereas ‘Raid Plus Egg Stoppers’ prevent roach reproduction.
These products are produced by an American privately held company known as SC Johnson. They specialize in producing house cleaning products and insecticides.
This product comes with 12 small roach bait stations and 3 sterilizers or egg stoppers.Raid baits are unique because these can control reproduction and kill roaches at all stages of their life cycle. But are not effective in bigger infestations and may not kill the larger roaches.
The active ingredient in (Small Roach Baits) is Avermectin B1 (0.05 %) along with other ingredients where in (Egg Stopper) is S-Hydroprene and other ingredients. These baits are child resistant products, however, should be used with caution.
Since there are two separate products, so let’s look at how these can be used individually.
Instruction to Use:
- Use Indoors
- Separate baits before placement
- Place the baits next to the wall along baseboards, in corners, under sinks, in cabinets and near plumbing fixtures
- For best results, use all 12 baits at once.
- To keep roaches from returning, replace all baits every three months
- Instruction to use Egg Stoppers™
- To activate, press down firmly on the pouch on the side of the disc until a snapping sound is heard, indicating that the small capsule inside has been opened.
- Place two per average size kitchen (one every 75 sq. ft.) or in areas of heavy roach activity.
- Replace every three months for continued effectiveness.
5. Invict Gold Cockroach Gel bait
Ready To Spray
- Fast acting formula
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
- Targets German Roaches only
- Gel comes with a fragile plunger
Invict is a gel bait product manufactured by Rockwell Labs Ltd.—US based company that specializes in pest management products. It is an EPA approved product.
The active ingredient present in the product is 2.15% Imidacloprid–a slow acting poison that mimics the role of nicotine. It works by disrupting the nerves of the insects and freezes their nerve activities. Imidacloprid is more toxic to insects as compared to mammals and birds.
The active ingredient is present in minute quantities that is why it won’t be causing any inconvenience but ensure keeping an eye on your children and pets after applying it in your home.
Before buying this product, you should check which type of roaches is present in your house as using it on any other type won’t be effective.
How to Use: Application of the product is very easy. It is a ready to use bait and comes with a plunger. It can be easily used to the cracks along the walls and near the places with most roach activity.
6. TERRO T500SR Multi-Surface Roach Baits-2 Pack
- Attracts and kills roaches
- Easy to use
- Safe around kids and pets
- Value for money
- Indoors only
- Small space
The product will get rid of them better than professional pest exterminator. TERRO Multi-Surface roach baits is high quality product the most effective against roaches.
This bait is different from other products. The design is discreet, which makes it easy to hide anywhere. You can place under your furnishings. Under the sofa, inside your cabinets or in your car seats.
The attractant is base-protein baits. That will attract and kills the roaches, also some small crawling insects. It easy for you to know that it needs to be replace. They design the bait station with transparent window. You can also notice if the traps is empty. Then you can move the traps in a place where there are roaches.
For applications, it can be adhesive or non-adhesive. Both applications are practical. These baits can be placed anywhere. In either in flat surfaces or vertical. It goes with 2 packs with 6 bait station each packs.
The design of this bait traps is a bit different. It was make with many entry points where the pesky crawlers is attracted to go inside to play and die. The easier access for them, the higher catch rate for you.
The bait trap does not contain toxic materials. It does not rely on electricity or pesticides to kill and repel those crawling insects.
Instruction How to use
TERRO Multi-Surface roach baits are easy to use. Before placing the bait stations make sure to remove other sources of food, such as crumbs, sugar and grease spots to prevent attracting them elsewhere.
- For adhesive applications, apply removable adhesive strip to bottom of bait station.
- Remove remaining printed strip paper backing. For non-adhesive applications, skip to step 2.
- Apply/place bait stations near where roaches are present.
- For adhesive applications, press and hold bait station firmly against surface for 10 seconds to ensure proper adhesion.
- Place additional bait stations anywhere roaches are present.
- Heavily infested areas may require additional bait stations.
- Monitor placements regularly, but do not interfere with the pests or bait stations.
- Replace when bait is depleted and continue until roaches are controlled.
7. Bayer Advance Roach Killer with Bait
- Effective in killing cockroaches
- Easy to use
- No odor
- No mess.
- Harmful for humans and domestic animals.
You will witness the effective power of Bayer Advance Roach Killer in killing cockroaches including German, American, Smoky Brown, Oriental, and other species.
It works in cracks, crevices, cabinets and wall voids. Very easy to apply, using the applicator pen filled with gel bait. Many smaller bait placements will give best results faster, a more effective control than fewer larger placements.
Ideal for indoor and outdoor use. You can apply it in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, basement, garage, and in your terrace. In crack and crevices squeeze a small amount in it. The product lasts up to 6 months.
How to Apply
- Remove the cap from the tip.
- Place the tip against the area to be treated.
- To dispense, press the button to deliver on bait placement.
- When finished, replace the cap.
- The first time will require several pumps to prime prior to dispensing.
- Store in dry and cool storage.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
8. MGK Vendetta Plus Cockroach Gel (4 Tubes) Bait
- Highly palatable bait formulation
- Attracts and kills bait averse and non averse roaches
- Can be placed anywhere and sticks to most surfaces in the house
- Dispenses smoothly and easily
- Plunger is reusable
- Harmful to wildlife and fish
- Not safe for kids and pets in contact.
- Pesticides content
Vendetta roach gel bait is light brown color product specially formulated to be extremely attractive to cockroaches that are hard-to-kill. It is most effective against all known types of cockroaches, including German, American, Brown, Oriental, Asian and many more.
It is produced by an American company known as MGK. Which provides numerous pest control products. The result is impressive. You can appreciate the difference from other similar products. Its like you won the battle against those pests.
The active ingredient present in the Vendetta roach gel bait is 0.05% Abamectin. It acts on insects by interfering with brain signaling mechanism.
It Leaves no odor or residue, making it very convenient for both indoor and outdoor use
Since it is used in very low quantities in insecticides it is not harmful for humans or pets but prolonged interaction might cause irritation in eyes and skin.
Instruction on How to Use
This gel bait product should be applied as follows:
For light infestation: 4-6 bait points or spots containing 0.25 to 0.50 grams of the product should be used per 100 sq feet of the area to be treated.
For heavy infestation of cockroaches: 12 to 24 baits points per 100 sq feet are recommended by the manufacturers.
Food handling areas – Limit application of the product to the cracks and crevices the insects are hiding in. Do not apply in open areas or surfaces where contamination of food and food handling equipment may occur.
For outside use: Inject into cracks and crevices around windows and doors, porches, screens, eaves, patios, garages, under stairways and other areas adjacent to structures where cockroaches may be find.
Like most insects, roaches like to nurture in some of the most filthy places such as dust bins, sewage pipes, and drains.
What’s more disturbing and gross is the fact that– in search of food when they roam around in kitchens and food storage places, they happily leave secretions and feces thus transferring germs which can lead to allergy in humans and many other problems such as dermatitis, itching, swelling of the eyelids and some respiratory conditions.
Not just that, but they can also cause certain intestinal diseases, including diarrhoea, dysentery, typhoid fever and cholera in extreme cases, according to Word Health Organization, WHO.
Why Baits Are Most Efficient To Control Roaches?
Cockroaches are known as social insects and they prefer to live in colonies or nests. Baits are usually known as one of the effective means to kill roaches than any other way out there as they work by eliminating the entire colony or nest of roaches effectively.
Cockroaches upon consuming the bait carry the toxic material into their bodies and also bring it back to their colony, where other cockroaches either via eating their feces or by eating dead cockroaches consume the insecticide and get killed.
Placement of The Bait And Bait Station
One of the very crucial but important steps for getting maximum work out of bait or bait station is its right placement. Bait station should always be placed near the point where roaches are most likely to pass by.
Now lets review each product in more depth to understand how it works and how you can use it to get maximum control.
Frequently Asked Question
How many roach species are found in the US?
According to CDC, there are 55 species of cockroaches present in the United States. As a group, they tend to prefer a moist and warm habitat because most are tropical in origin. The household cockroaches eat a great variety of materials but mostly they prefer eating starchy materials, sweet substances, meat products, cheese, bakery products etc.
How to control infestations from happening?
They key to control roach infestation is cleanliness. WHO recommends storing food in tight containers; rubbish bins should be covered and frequently emptied. They come in various places whilst searching for food and if there is no food, dirt or debris etc they might not invade the place. They might be found in smaller numbers in clean houses but are not likely to form colonies over there.
On household level, infestation can be effectively controlled by baits or traps. However, heavy infestations of cockroaches can be dealt with chemical control measures, followed by environmental management to deprive these crawling pests of food and shelter.
Are baits or sprays more effective for killing roaches?
Baits are more preferable to kill a large amount of roaches and the entire colonies—as they bring back the poisonous material back to their colony. Therefore baits are a more effective solution for tackling an infestation. On the other hand sprays only kill the individual cockroaches or the ones that get sprayed.
Can baits be used outside the house too?
Yes, baits can be used outdoors as roaches can be found anywhere but they seem to be more effective indoors. For outside use there are granular products available in the market too. Most baits aren’t entirely waterproof and are affected by direct sunlight hence why granules are more usefully designed for outside use.
How to eradicate an infestation efficiently?
The most crucial point is the strategic placement of the bait. Once you put the bait near most activity area of roaches, they tend to eat the bait and carry the poison to their nest.
How many types of roach baits are present?
There are three different types of baits available in market including bait stations, granular baits and gels type baits, each one of these have different pros and cons but for indoor use mostly bait stations and bait gels are used.
Types of Baits
There are three different types of roach baits available in the market as they provide an efficient roach killing approach.
- Bait stations
- Granular Baits
- Gel Baits
Bait stations are known to be one of the popular means to kill roaches easily. They provide a trap and the killing agent in a single product. Baits stations are mostly made up of plastic or cardboard or may be both. These have small openings for the cockroaches to enter and leave as it will helps in carrying the poisonous killing agent back to their colony—thus killing more.
How to use?
Using base stations is an easy task. Ensure reading the instructions on the packaging first. These once taken out of the packing can be placed in areas with more roaches. Although bait stations are enclosed products however, caution should be taken if there are children or pets at home.
The station provides following major advantages:
- It can trap and hold the roaches.
- There is an attractant to attract the cockroaches from their colony or nest.
- Has a chemical ingredient that acts as killing agent which upon ingested results in the death of these tiny pests.
- Can be used indoors effectively
- Kill entire colony of roaches.
- Bait station cannot be put up by the windows or against the walls.
An alternative option to be used outdoors or indoors—in places where bait station doesn’t work. These are usually best used to control the bigger outdoor roaches. These baits provide an active line of defense when you want to stop roaches from entering the house. They work their best when do not come in contact with water, as it reduces their efficacy.
- Effectively can be spread outdoors, in attics, basement and void space.
- Provide easy access to the killing agent.
- Children and pets might mistake these as food.
Bait gels are one of the most affordable options to kill roaches and can be used in the house where bait stations can’t be placed. They come in three different types:
- Aerosol cans
- Tubes for bait guns
The most commonly and conveniently used are the ones in syringe form whereas, bait guns are bit of pricy products and are mostly used by the professionals for tackling bigger infestation.
How to use?
Gel should be applied near the most traffic areas and in small quantities as using large amounts of the product only leads to wastage. It is better to use syringe for applying gel in dots if few roaches are there.
- Provide easier application
- Can be placed anywhere and sticks to most surfaces in the house.
- More affordable than other two types and a single tube is usually enough for treating an average sized room or kitchen.
- Goes smoothly in relatively smaller places such as cracks holes etc.
- Their formulation and consistency helps to attract roaches because cockroaches love moist substances.
- Young cockroaches can easily consume these as hard baits might not be easily eaten by baby roaches.
- Kills lesser number of roaches—doesn’t target the entire colony of roaches.
- Not suitable for outdoor usage.
Overall, bait stations are an easy fix for infestations and work by sweeping out entire colonies. They are safer to be used around children and pets than gel or granular baits and leave no residue of product.
Gels baits are more effective for small scale infestation and can be used both indoors and outdoors. Gels are a good option to be used in areas where other products can’t be placed—due to its adhesive nature and can be used near food handling areas as long as caution is used.
However, granular baits provide excellent control from roaches that are either found outdoors or in the places where other products are difficult to be installed or used such as attic and basement and other void spaces.