Mosquitoes are commonly and abundantly present in our surroundings –which generally is not considered as a common threat but these small flying insects are among one of the deadliest insects on this planet due to their disease transmitting behavior.
According to the American Mosquito Control Association (AMCA), more than one million people worldwide die from mosquito-borne diseases every year.
What’s most surprising is that they can also transmit several diseases and parasites to dogs and other animals such as Dog Heartworm, West Nile virus and Eastern equine encephalitis—all of these if contracted by your pet can be life threatening.
In addition to causing deadly diseases, the painful mosquito bites leave your pet with red itchy bumps and severe skin irritation which occurs as a result of allergic reaction to the mosquito’s saliva.
That is why sustained mosquito control efforts are important to prevent your beloved pet from the outbreak of such serious diseases.
There are tons of commercially available products that are designed to control mosquitoes but the most preferable are the ones which do not contain harsh chemicals and can be applied on your pet without thinking about the adverse side effects associated with them.
Following are some of the best products that can be used to keep these tiny pests away from your dog effectively:
Table of Contents
1. Wondercide Flea Tick and Mosquito Repellent Spray
- Made up of natural and pet friendly ingredients
- Effectively repels and kills mosquitoes including their larvae and eggs
- Safe for dogs and cats
- Some customers find the smell to be too strong
Wondercide is an American company that specializes in making a wide range of natural pest control products for pets, home, yard and the whole family.
It is a natural mosquito repellent spray which can not only kill mosquitoes but other pests such as fleas and ticks too.
This spray is made up of natural ingredients such as Cedarwood oil, Lemongrass oil, Sesame oil, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, and other inert ingredients which are not harmful for both cats and dogs.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is a surfactant or cleaning agent that is used in making many personal care and hygiene products such as soaps, shampoos and toothpastes. The product comes in 4 different fragrances but the fresh Lemongrass scent is liked most by the customers.
Wondercide spray can be directly sprayed on your dog as it does not contain DEET, pyrethroids or pyrethrins etc. This mosquito repellent spray is based on non-staining formula that makes it suitable to be used on its bedding, upholstery and carpet for addition mosquito repellent action.
Another good feature about this product is that it kills both eggs and larvae of these insects, thus ensuring good mosquito control. Since, this is a natural mosquito repellent spray that is why it can be used around children too. However, some customers complain about the smell to be too strong for using on a pet.
This mosquito repellent spray is present in 4 oz, 16 oz and 32 oz bottles. For small cats and dogs, 4 oz size product is perfect to use
Instructions To Use:
- Simply rub on your pet’s coat in the opposite direction of growth, spray and rub in.
- It can also be sprayed on the body, legs, tail, belly, and armpits.
- If you wish to use this product on your pet’s face then spritz into your hands and then apply onto its face and ears.
- Do not use too much product.
- Repeat 2-3 times per week or as often as needed.
- Spray before your pet goes into unprotected areas.
2. Nantucket Spider Natural Insect Repellent for Dogs
- Effective in repelling mosquitoes.
- Easy to use and apply.
- Organic and non-GMO essential oils.
- Deet free, cruelty-free, vegan and soy-free.
- Lockable Trigger Spray for superior coverage
- Not Greasy
- Nitrogen added for freshness
- Strong Smell
This product really does work. It has a light cedar scent. This natural insect repellent for dogs does not contain citrus ingredients that may cause irritation for dogs, puppies and other pets noses and eyes.The only other ingredients are water and glycerin. Can be directly applied to your dog’s coat and underbelly, in a single application.
It contains essential oils that targeted mosquitoes, flies, ticks, and fleas. This spray is Deet free, cruelty-free, vegan, soy-free, and made from certified organic and non-GMO essential oils.
Spray formula is composed of a blend of organic Rosemary, Thyme, Peppermint, Cedarwood, and Geranium essential oils.
They are convenient for travel and to carry in a handbag or a backpack. The carry-on (2 oz) size is available in a convenient 3-pack.
3. Bug Soother Spray
- All natural spray—free of harmful chemicals
- Effectively keep away mosquitoes and other insects including gnats, and flies
- Nice Lemony and vanilla scent
- Can be used on your pets, kids and other farm animals including horses and chicken
- Might have to reapply for effective results
It is manufactured by an American family owned company known as Simply Soothing that has been making natural hand made products since 2003. Bug soother spray is an all natural product designed for repelling mosquitoes, gnats,bugs and other insects effectively.
This spray was originally created by the owner for her five month old grandson because she did not want anything with harsh chemicals to be used on him.
In addition to pets, this super effective and all natural spray can be used on kids, people who love to work outside and even on farm animals such as horses and chickens.
The active ingredient present in this remarkable spray is Lemongrass oil, with a hint of vanilla. Other ingredients in this spray include Castor oil, Soya Lecitins and Vitamin E in addition to Vanillin, Glycerine and Water.
The bug repellent spray is also liked because it has a fresh lemony and vanilla scent making it pleasant to use on skin. Another good feature about this product is that it leaves no oily residue like other products. Also it can be freely used as it is chemical free and does not pose any harmful side effects.
In addition to providing mosquito control indoor, the bug soother spray can be used on your dog and the entire family during outdoor activities including fishing, hiking, biking, golfing, farming—or simply having quality time in your garden.
Bug Soother provides when applied on your dogs gives high quality insect repelling benefits in a reasonable price, which ranks it among one of the most effective mosquito and other insects repellent that is commercially available.
4. Pet Herbal Armor Spray
- All natural product
- DEET and GMO free insect repellent–safe & effective to use
- Keeps away mosquitoes and other insects
- Won’t damage clothing or equipment
- Non irritating and allergy tested
- Might have to re apply after pet gets wet
Pet Herbal Armor spray is produced by All Terrain – a US based company that specializes in making skin protection products made up of safe and clean ingredients such as insect repellents, sunscreens, medicated skin care, first aid products, sanitizers and pet care products.
The company was founded by a mountain climber when a bottle of DEET-based insect repellent got leaked in his backpack. The chemical was so strong that it melted the keys on a calculator he was carrying. He got concerned and developed Herbal Armor Insect Repellent without DEET.
The active ingredients present in this product are Soybean oil (11.5%), Citronella Oil (10.0%), Peppermint Oil (2.0%), Cedar oil (1.50%), Lemongrass Oil (1.00%) and Geranium Oil (0.05%). There are also other ingredients such as Water, Glyceryl Stearate, Beeswax, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, and Xanthan Gum.
This natural pet spray also has lemon like pleasant scent which adds to its quality features and makes it a good mosquito killing option for your beloved pet.
Since insects are as annoying for pets as these are for humans therefore, good quality products like Pet Herbal Armor Spray can turn out to be effective natural remedy for providing natural protection from mosquitoes and other itchy insect bites.
Instructions To Use:
- This spray can be used on the coat, legs, back and stomach of your pet.
- It can also be sprayed on clothing and insect bedding because of its non staining formula.
- Avoid using on face directly and keep away from eyes and nose of your pet.
- Your pet can enjoy outside without worrying about mosquitoes and other biting insects.
This natural insect repellent spray comes in 4 oz formulation and can provide safe, effective and environment friendly mosquito control for a long time.
One shortfall of this product is that it has to be reapplied after your dog gets into water or gets a bath, which might be slightly inconvenient. Other than that, overall it is a reliable product.
5. Cedarcide Original Kit -Natural Cedar Oil Bug Spray
- Safe and Easy to use
- Powerful and Effective
- Non-toxic, DEET Free
- Earth Friendly
- Can use directly on people and pets.
- Package comes in 3 sizes
- Strong odor of Cedar oil
- A bit expensive
One of the most reliable product that can kill and repel mosquitoes, fleas, stinkbugs, spiders, roaches, ants, any creepy, crawly thing you can come across. It can be use by your whole family, dogs, cats, horses & livestock. Worth of your money to purchase.
Cedarcide is one of the most useful product you will have ever found for pest control. You don’t worry about toxic side effects for your family or your pets. This spray is naturally sourced, plant-based, non-GMO ingredients form the backbone of this formulas. It is highly refine making the spray more hypoallergenic and skin-safe. No harmful or toxic chemical contents. You can even use it directly on your neck to keep mosquitoes off of you, at work or indoor or outdoor events.
It has a strong odor because it’s cedar oil, but some like the smell to others its not. If it’s too much for you just dilute it with water, to be bearable. The effect goes a long way and it lasts a long time. They have travel size of the product convenient for your camping, hiking and going on a picnic.
Instruction to use
- Hold the spray 7-8 inches from your skin before spraying.
- Spray into your hands, or put some amount to your palm then apply evenly to your skin.
- For your pets: Lightly mist coat, apply with hands, or the Cedarcide Flea + Tick Brush.
- Massage into coat. Cover legs, underbelly, around ears and tail.
- Use hands to apply to face, avoiding eyes and mouth.
- Apply as needed or every 5-7 days.
6. Vets Best Spray
- Non-Toxic and free of harmful chemicals which makes it a credible choice
- Fights away mosquitoes effectively
- Non greasy formula
- DEET free
- The smell might be strong for some people
Vet’s best spray is another mosquito repellent spray that is manufactured in the USA. It is a plant based product that can be used for both dogs and cats.
It does not contain DEET or any other toxic chemicals.It has a fresh lemony scent which adds to the good features of this mosquito repellent spray.
The active ingredients used in this product include natural essential oils including lemongrass oil and Geraniol i.e. derived from Citronella Plants-which have proven mosquito repelling properties.
Vet’s best spray is free of harmful chemicals, therefore, can provide protection to your dog from mosquito and other pests.
It can be used on dogs and cats who are 12 weeks or older. The only shortfall of the natural products like this made from essential oils is the fragrance issue—which might be a bit strong for some people and pets.
Instructions To Use:
- It is recommended by the manufacturers to shake well before applying
- Lightly spraying it on pet’s coat is advisable, until the coat becomes slightly damp
- Avoid overdoing so that it is not dripping.
- Do not spray in face, eyes or genitals of your pet.
- When spraying cover coat including legs, tail and stomach of your dog. Then massage into the coat until the product reaches the skin. After that let it dry completely before pets groom themselves or each other.
- In order to gain maximum benefit it should be applied as directed on the label. The spray can be reapplied if needed, allowing 2-4 hours between applications, not exceeding twice in 24 hours.
- This spray can also be used by the entire family including children who are 2 years or above of age. Similarly it can be used on clothing and skin taking care to avoid eyes and other sensitive areas.
7. Amrita Insect Repellent For Pets
- Made up of all natural ingredients–safe for humans and pets
- This product is potent insect repellent and works effectively against mosquitoes, ants, fleas, chiggers, and ticks
- It comes in three versions, each uniquely made for a specific group of users
- DEET free product, non-toxic and stainless formulation
- Constant re-application of the product is needed to get good results.
This spray is a USDA certified organic insect repellent and an all natural product that effectively keeps mosquitoes and other insects including ants, fleas, chiggers, ticks, gnats & other insects away.
It is manufactured by a US based company known as Amrita Aromatherapy which focuses on developing natural products made from plant essential oils for both healing and personal skin care. Their mission is to provide quality products for everyone on the plane considering the holistic healing & well-being in mind.
The major categories of products produced by them include hydrosols, deodorants and bugs begone. This spray product falls under the Bugs BeGone category.
The Amrita Insect repellent for Pets is a DEET free spray product that is made up of six different types of essential oils.
The active ingredients present in this product which gives it its unique insect repelling properties include essential oils of Lemongrass, Rosemary, Sweet Lavandin, Eucalyptus Citriodora, Peppermint and Catnip which are combined into a base of water, Polysorbate and Aloe Vera.
The soothing combination of these essential oils releases a fresh, lemon scent that is find pleasing by humans and pets too. Another remarkable feature of this product is its colorless and non staining formula which makes it a good choice to be used on clothing and bedding as well
This spray comes in different packing and can be used on your pet and your entire family. The ingredients used in this spray are skin friendly and do not cause irritation.
It can also sprayed generously on arms, legs or any exposed areas. It can be applied every two hours for adequate protection as needed.
8. Vetriscience Pet Spray
- Does not contain chemical ingredients
- Keeps away mosquitoes, fleas and ticks
- Safe for use on puppies and kittens
- Not water resistance needs to be reapplied when the pet gets wet.
Vetriscience pet spray is another insect repellent spray that is derived from all natural ingredients.
The active ingredients used in this insect repellent spray are Lemongrass Oil (4 %), Cinnamon Oil (1%), Sesame oil 1%, Castor oil (0.5%), Vitamin E (0.2%) and purified water (93.3%)
The remarkable blend of all such plant derived oils makes it excellent mosquito and flea repellent formula. This spray does not contain toxic effects even if your pet licks the skin.
Vetriscience spray is safe to use on even small puppies and cats.
This spray can also be used on bedding and collars which can soak up the oils to provide insect repellent properties.
Another good feature about this product is that it also leaves behind a pleasant scent on the skin, which makes it easy to use.
It can be used on the fur, including legs and stomach and then can be worked into the coat if necessary. Usually it gets soaked up into the fur pretty easily but depending on the thickness, type, and length of fur, the spray may require additional rubbing to get the product through the entire coat.
This is a non greasy and non staining spray but should be first checked by putting on a small portion of a fabric or other surfaces.
Although the spray does not pose any side effects or skin irritation but in case of sensitivity to the product it is recommended by the manufacturers to bathe your pet with mild soap and rinse again. If signs continue, it is better to consult a veterinarian immediately.
Instructions To Use:
- It is recommended by the manufacturers to shake spray bottle vigorously before use Also it should be used according to the instructions provided on the label. It is advised to avoid soaking the animal with the spray.
- It should not be sprayed on face and contact via inhalation or eyes, nose or mouth should be avoided.
- If you wish to apply on the face of your pet, use a piece of cloth to apply it.
- Reapply every 2-3 days or as needed before the animal goes outside. Reapply whenever the animal is thoroughly wet.
- This spray should be kept out of reach of children and other pets.
Some other ointments or topical cream based products are also effective to keep away disease causing pets including mosquitoes, fleas and ticks etc.
A number of such products are recommended by vets to help keep your pet away from serious diseases causing agents. These include:
9. K9 Advantix II
- Repels and kills mosquitoes, fleas and ticks remarkably well
- Effective than spray products
- Waterproof—does not need to be applied again and again
- Can be highly toxic to cats—cats should be kept away for 12 hours at least after applying this product on your dog.
- Has side effects–your pet might feel irritated after using this product
It is also a remarkable ointment based product designed for protecting against different types of pests including mosquitoes, flies, ticks and fleas. It is a convenient monthly topical cream based product.
It is generally prescribed as a treatment option for fighting off fleas and prevents your dog from unnecessary bites and future infestations.
K9 Advantix II also kills mosquitoes and lice remarkably well. The best thing about this product is that it does not gets washed away when the pets get in water.
The active ingredients present in this pest control product are Imidacloprid, Permethrin and Pyriproxyfen— all these active ingredients make this formulation best for fighting off a number of disease causing pests.
Another good feature about this product is that it can be used on dogs that are 7 weeks and older making it suitable for a large number of dogs.
The method to apply K9 Advantix II is very simple. It comes in a pre-measured applicator tube according to your dog’s weight.
It easily spreads on the skin to provide full-body flea, tick, mosquitoes and lice protection through contact. This product should only be used on skin and should never be given orally.
It is highly toxic to cats and should not be used on dogs if cats are present in the surroundings. Also when applied on your dog, try to keep cats away for at least 12 hours as a safety precaution. It is also suggested to keep your dog away from furniture or bedding after applying until the product dries.
K9 Advantix II can be applied easily onto the skin of down the back of your pet. From there, it spreads evenly as a thin layer over the skin surface and is locked in the oils of the dog’s skin rather than being absorbed internally.
When disease causing insects such as mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, and lice come in contact with the skin of the treated dog, the nervous system of parasite gets affected leading to death of the organism.
For this ointment to work—it does not require the pest to start feeding on your pet, the pest gets killed on the first contact. This treatment method helps in reducing the disease causing bites making your pet comfortable and can help to prevent disease transmission.
Instructions To Use:
- Before applying the product, you should remove collar from your pet
- Then, remove one applicator tube from the package.
- Hold the applicator tube upright and pull cap off.
- Turn cap around and place the other end of cap back on the tube.
- Twist cap to break the seal, then remove cap from tube. Starting at your dog’s shoulder blades, part the hair.
- Apply K9 Advantix II evenly and directly to the skin on multiple spots along your dogs back by squeezing out the tube’s contents.
- Make sure to empty the entire tube by the end of the application. Do not rub the product into the skin; allow it to dry naturally.
10. Vectra 3D Purple
- Kills a number of pests including mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, flies, lice and mites instantly
- Recommended by Vets
- Works extremely well
- Might have certain side effects in some cases
Vectra 3D is one of the products that vet recommend being effective against bugs. It is not a spray product but a gel based ointment that comes in a small tube. This formulation is extremely effective against mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, flies, lice and mites.
The active ingredients present in this ointment are Permethrin, Dinotefuran and Pyriproxifen–all of which are potent insect killers.
It can be used on dogs and puppies that are 8 weeks of age and older. It is a fast acting product and works against pests in around 5 minutes of application.
It is a long lasting pest controlling product that dries quickly. It is very convenient to apply and comes with a patented applicator which allows it to be used easily. Also, the pest killing property of this cream remains effective even after bathing or swimming.
It is mostly recommended when there is a serious flea infestation problem, using it on your pet helps get rid of it completely in less time. But it is an effective mosquito repellent too.
Since it a chemical based product that’s why there are some side effects associated after using it on your pet. Your pet may feel restlessness and anxiety or in some cases burns on the skin at the site of application.
In some cases it might also cause, lethargy, panting, racing heart, loose stool or vomiting and apparent dehydration which causes excessive water drinking. Some pets show no reaction at all and are able to tolerate the drug without any problem.
Vectra 3D is meant to be applied from the tail to the neck, there’s more liquid in the tube than similar drugs. The volume of liquid, paired with the quantity of drugs, could be overwhelming to some dogs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What inconveniences are caused by Mosquitoes other than transmitting diseases?
Mosquitoes causing more suffering than any other organism—is an established fact but these little insects repeatedly make an annoying sound in ear and biting can turn out to be a true nuisance for your beloved pet.
Not just that but the mosquito bites can cause severe skin irritation through an allergic reaction to the mosquito’s saliva resulting in a red bump and constant itching.
How many types of mosquito repellents are commercially available?
When we hear about mosquito repellents then sprays come to our mind but there are a number of other products designed for this purpose. These include:
- Mosquito sprays
- Mosquito repelling ointments
- Mosquito repelling collars
Can mosquitoes kill dogs?
The answer to this question is yes! Mosquitoes can cause some deadly disease to dogs thereby resulting in death. Since mosquitoes carry a number of viruses therefore they can cause deadly diseases such as Heart worm disease which can cause death of dogs.
Can Human Insect Repellents be used on dogs?
Some of the essential oils in diluted form can be used on dogs such as tea tree, lemongrass, eucalyptus, and citronella etc but these can be hazardous for cats therefore if you have cats too which play together with dogs at home then avoid using such products on your dog.
Which mosquito repellants you should avoid for your dogs?
Chemical based products should be avoided, especially those containing Pyrethrin Permethrin in them as these can be toxic to your pet. Some pets are also sensitive to tea tree oil so the products containing it must be used with care.
There are a number of mosquito repellent products available in the market such as Mosquito sprays, Mosquito Repelling ointments, Mosquito repelling Collars, Repellant blankets etc. But the best ones to use on your dog are those which are free of harmful chemicals or toxic pesticides.
You should look for options according to age of your pet, the chemicals used in any product and the smell of the product before using it on your pet.
One best way is to use diluted essential oils based spray products as they are extracted from natural ingredients and do not cause harm to your pet, unlike the chemical based products.
Therefore, natural insect repellent sprays can be your pet’s best friends and most of them can be used by the entire family. These do not pose harmful effects to your pet and keeps the annoying and diseases causing pests such as mosquitoes away from them.
On the other hand numerous chemical based ointments available for treating pests have side effects and can cause allergic reactions or skin irritation and even hair loss in severe cases. Thus, such harsh products should only be used in case of serious pest problem which cannot be otherwise treated using natural spray or oil based products.