Houseflies most commonly referred as flies are amongst one of the uninvited guests that like to pay visit very often. They can be seen flying around your house, even if you keep it all tidy and clean. These small insects repeatedly need to feed during the day and are found roaming around both in and out of house in quest for food.
Their mostly likeable food sources are human food materials, food waste, organic matter, garbage, dung, organic manure, accumulated plant, fish organs and sewage waste.
Table of Contents
Our Top Picks for Best Fly Traps
Lets compare best fly traps on Planet against each other.
If you are still not grossed by these tiny flying insects then you should probably know why they repeatedly like to sit on humans—that’s mostly because they are attracted to human sweat too. Yes that’s true! Water is an essential part of a flies’ diet and they can’t live more than 48 hours without it.
Not only that, but flies are amongst one of the major disease carrying insects. Although they don’t physically harm us humans but carry germs for many infectious diseases after visiting all the stinky places.
When they land on humans; they can cause some serious infectious diseases such as dysentery, diarrhea, typhoid, cholera and certain Helminth infections—the enteric infections, trachoma and epidemic conjunctivitis—eye infections, poliomyelitis and certain skin infections including yaws, cutaneous diphtheria, mycoses and leprosy, according to World Health Organization, WHO.
So you should try to get rid of these stubborn invaders, firstly by improving environmental sanitation and hygiene in your household. You can use some physical control methods too such as traps, sticky tapes, fly swats and electrocuting grids.
let us equip you with right and accurate knowledge about usage of fly traps and the variety of products available in market so that you can say goodbye to these filthy insects for good. Do an analysis yourself and choose the best suited product for your need from the lot.
Let’s take a look onto various qualities of these products in depth.
1. RESCUE Disposable Non-Toxic Fly Trap
- Works in catching all types of flies
- Natural bait included and is chemical free
- Each trap can catch up to 20,000 flies
- Designed for outdoor use
- Can be easily disposed off
- Can produce odor
- This product is not reusable
Rescue fly trap is one of our top picks because it a non toxic and disposable trap. It is manufactured by an American company—which specializes in providing smarter pest control solutions for homeowners.
It is simple and very easy to use. One plus point about this product is that it comes with an attractant as bait— which is comprised of food and feed ingredients, and other safe food flavoring.
The attractant gets dissolved and activated, when water is added to the bag.
Flies in search of food and enticed by the scent come closer to the product and fall in trap through the yellow top cap and drown in the water where water makes it impossible for them to leave.
The bait used in this product is all natural and doesn’t contain any poisonous chemicals therefore, can be used freely if you have pets or children around. Also it doesn’t cause harm to other insects such as bees.
Another thing about this product is that it works effectively against hundreds of types of flies including the most common ones and can catch up to 20,000 flies. It is also a good choice, because it can attract flies within a range of 20 feet therefore can be hung outdoors to trap flies.
Other places where it can be conveniently used include: near a dog run or kennel, in a barn with good air ventilation, around poultry, hogs, sheep, dairy and beef cattle areas, near garbage bins or dumpsters, near a compost pile and around campsite.
Although this fly trap is liked by consumers however, it has a major drawback which is– its off putting smell produced due to flies entrapped in it. Also, this product is not reusable.
2. Victor Fly Magnet Reusable Trap With Bait
- White color and diamond-shaped lid on trap designed to attract more flies.
- Safe around children, pets and the environment.
- Effective for the whole season
- Traps are re-usable—after emptying the trapped flies, new bait can be added along with water to use it again
- Produces an unpleasant odor
- Emptying out the contents, in case of re-using can be a hassle.
- Can only be used outdoors
- According to some consumers the cover is fragile and can be easily damaged
Victor fly magnet reusable trap with is one of most effective fly trapping tool. It is manufactured by Woodstream Europe Ltd—a company which specializes in solving pests and animal control problems. Their common brands are Victor, Terro, Safer, Havahart, Perky-Pet, Mosquito Magnet etc
Victor fly magnet trap attracts flies in and doesn’t let them escape. One of the unique features of this fly trap is the design of product—it is white in color with a diamond shaped lid that is attractive to flies
Mechanism of Action
Its non poisonous bait is one of the most effective baits available in the market and gives competitors run for their money. This product is perfect for outdoor use. It is also safe to use around children and at home.
This fly trap due to its alluring bait attracts a variety of flies belonging to different species especially houseflies and blowflies. It can attract flies from a distance of 10-15 meters, depending on wind conditions, if not interrupted by wind.
The bait which comes with this trap can be purchase separately and this trap can be re-used multiple times which adds up to the efficiency of the product.
In order to get most benefit out of this product it is advised keeping it in sunny area or near light—as flies likes to live near heat, light and low wind.
Also try keeping this fly trap near ground (40 cm or less from ground), as flies tend to search for food close to ground level. Replace bait when you notice a marked decrease in the number of flies in the trap.
Instruction To Use
- Open Trap
- Pour bait into trap and add water to fill line.
- Swirl to mix
- As trap fills, add water to keep flies submerged
- Dispose of contents, rinse trap and re-bait
3. Catchmaster Window Fly Trap
- It is ready to use product and catches flies easily
- It is disposable and getting rid of the used indoor fly trap is not a problem
- It can be easily used indoors and outdoors
- Non-toxic and safe to use around children and pets
- Not suitable for bigger infestation problems.
Catchmaster Window Fly Trap is ranked amongst one of the good quality and highly effective products. It is designed and developed by Atlantic Paste and Glue Co which is well recognized for manufacturing pest management products in the United States, Mexico, and Canada.
This company is especially known for making glue based products such as insect traps & monitors, fly sticks, fly ribbons, mouse and rat boards etc.
This product is made keeping in mind the behavior of flies. They when enter the house follow the light thinking it to be the way to go out in the ope
Mechanism of Action
Catchmaster Window Fly Traps are designed to be placed directly on windows to capture flies and other flying insects that tend to gather there. This product has light adhesive on the backside too, which makes it easily stick to the window.
This window fly trap is coated with specially-formulated adhesive to catch flies. Flies when come in contact with such product have nowhere to go but get stuck in the adhesive glue on the trap and can stay there as long as their life cycle does not get over or thrown away.
Instruction To Use
It is easy to use and dispose off but if you are not a fan of witnessing flies trapped on a sticky sheet then you might want to pass on this one and use another product.
Although it is an affordable product but is not used by my customers dealing with flies’ problem inside their home because they don’t want to witness hundreds of flies entrapped on their windows—that’s why it mostly used outdoor.
- Put the less sticky side on the window.
- Let the flies make contact with the more sticky side
- Once flies get trapped simply remove it and dispose off.
4. Faicuk WS108 Wall Sconce Fly Light Trap
- Clear design so you’ll know when it’s working!
- Work in silence, no popping sound
- Safe for use at the office, in all areas of the home, around children, pets, and food.
- Effective light trap
- Worry free warranty
- Decorative light
- Can be used indoors only
- Need Electrical socket
We highly recommend replacing your fly zapper with fly light trap not only in your house but, especially in sensitive areas like restaurants, stores, supermarkets, offices, kitchens, etc.
Fly traps are smartly designed mess free products aimed at trapping and eventually killing flies silently and efficient. Each pack contains 6 glue boards. These fly traps is non toxic.
Mechanism of Action
It got a unique inner reflective coating that boost the UV light produced by Philip bulb up to triple times, increase the cover area (900 sq. ft.) and ensure better performance in daytime. It lures flying insects with its special violet light and then capturing them on the special glue boards, killing them softly and no more annoying popping noise.
This fly light trap is a great product that you can place in every wall of your house to get rid of the pesky flies and other propelling insects. It works it’s best when there is minimal competing light and it draws the flies right in, but the flies needed to go. This fly trap actually looks pretty good, like a decorative wall lamp serves as goodnight light too.
- Target Pests: Flies, gnats, moths, mosquitos.
- Application: Position 6ft. above the floor and wall mount horizontally.
- Dimensions:15 in. (L) x 9 in. (W) x 7 in. (D)
- Coverage Area: 900 sq. ft. or 25 lineal ft.
- UV Power: 8 watts
- Voltage: UL listed, 115v/60hz, with 6 foot cord
1 x 8W Philip UV bulb
6 x glue board
Worry-Free Warranty The company is confident and believe in their products and that’s why we back it with a 24-month limited warranty.
Easy-to-reach and friendly customer support available 24/7.
5. Black Flag Fly Stick
- Attracts and traps flying insects
- The product is not harmful even upon contact with the sticky surface.
- Generates no odor.
- Can be used both indoors and outside.
- It does not come with any form of attractant
This product is manufactured by the popular Spectrum Brands, which deals in making effective pest control products and market them internationally.
Black flag fly stick trap works pretty well by attracting and trapping insects. All you need to do is add honey or syrup as attractant. Once flies land they would never want to leave this trap.
Mechanism of Action
The design of the product comprises of a cylinder with a sticky body. The ends of the cylinder are made of plastic which can be used to hold the product without getting the sticky product on hands.
The trap has a hook too so that it can be hanged on the most visited sight of the flies, in your home. It can be used either indoor or outdoor — anywhere where flies and other insects are seen for instance porch, garden, picnic areas, garbage cans, inside barns, kennels & stables.
Disposing off sticky products can turn out to be bit challenging as the insects when stuck onto the sticky part can look very unpleasant to watch and even disturbing to touch. So the simple yet effective solution to get rid of such products is to wrap in a big piece of paper preferably news paper and throw these in the trash.
Instruction To Use
- Slowly remove and lift product straight up from the carton
- Handle product by top and bottom plastic inserts.
- Avoid touching sticky coated cylinder.
- Hang using attached plastic hook.
- For best results, hang vertically with all sides of the stick exposed, near the center of the area where you wish to control flying insect problems
- Add 1 tsp of honey or syrup to the bottom plastic cup
- Replace every three months or when stick is full of flying insects.
- When stick is full of insects, remove and wrap in newspaper and dispose of in trash.
- In case of contact with sticky material, wash hands with soap and water.
6. FlyFix Fruit Fly Trap
- It is easy to use and gives fast results
- No chances of spillage due to the design of the product.
- Non toxic, bait of your own choice can be used e.g. banana or sweet solution
- It is reusable.
- We Didn’t Found Any Downside For This Product
Flyfix traps are great products available commercially. These are designed to keep those irritating flies away from your home.
This product does not come with a bait or attractant and you can add it yourself. The manufacturers recommend using a piece of ripe banana and securing the lid on top thus locking the trap and avoiding any spillage that might occur.
FlyFix works really well due to the bright color of the products and the irresistible scent vortex that attracts flies in and makes it impossible for them to leave.
Mechanism of Action
Also the design of the product is very pretty. These are small sized round containers with bright colored crystal lids that make them even more attractive. These doesn’t look odd in your home and can be used any where indoors, in kitchens, food handling areas dining tables etc.
It is one of the most smartly produced fly traps as it prevents spillage of the attractant due to the style of the container.
Another good thing about this product is that it is reusable and can be easily rinsed. Once the trap gets filled with flies, twist open it rinse, add attractant and use again.
Any other liquid attractant as bait can also be used in these fly traps—the choice is totally yours. Some consumers also recommend using apple cider vinegar in order to make it more alluring for the flies.
Most commonly found houseflies can easily be captured in this fly trap and can remain in as long as their life cycle doesn’t expire.
7. Gardener Fly Web Fly Trap
- Provides odorless and non-chemical trapping
- Highly effective in attracting and capturing flies
- Contains replaceable glue cards
- Catches not only flies but also other flying insects
- This product requires electricity to function
- It is for indoor use only
This fly trap is manufactured by Gardner products—that specializes in making Adhesive and Electric Grid Insect Light Traps.
Flies and other insects get attracted to this product due to UV light bulb present inside. Upon coming closer these insects get trapped on the adhesive glue card. These adhesive cards are replaceable and can be changed once a number of flies are entrapped. Once the glue card gets full it can be easily disposed of in trash and replaced with new one. This trap can work a long time and the bulb can also be replaced over time.
Mechanism of Action
Its small size makes it efficient to use in homes, restaurants and offices. Another remarkable feature of this product is that in addition to flies it can trap mosquitoes, gnats, moths, fruit flies and other flying insects.
This fly trap can attract flies within a range 600 sq. ft area. However, this product works better at night. This product uses energy efficient 9 watt Ultraviolet light. The bulb can be plugged in any standard 110v household electricity outlet.
Some of the customers point out that the product is not easy to clean and the glue gets on hands while replacing. The manufacturers claim it to be non toxic and suggests cleaning it off with vegetable oil.
Sometimes the product doesn’t work which might be due to the fact that light bulb gets loose during shipping or handling. One way to make sure that it is not case is by gently pressing the bulb straight down in the socket, if bulb was loose you will hear a click sound and you will be good to go.
This product is also efficient to use as it doesn’t contain any chemicals that might be harmful for kids or pets. In addition the cool blue light of the bulb is liked by customers.
Instruction To Use
- Remove the protective coating on the glue card
- Insert it into the unit
- Plug the fly trap in an electrical outlet
8. Trapro Yellow Dual-Sided Sticky Fly Traps
- These ready to use and non toxic trap
- Easy to peel off and use.
- Great for capturing aphids, leaf miners, fungus gnats, thrips, white flies, black flies and midges.
- Nothing’s Wrong With The Product
If you are looking for a fly trap outside your garden then this product can be a perfect choice. This product is not designed for indoor use and captures flying plant pest outside. Also these are eco friendly and made from non toxic materials.
Trapo fly trap comes with 10 small double sided yellow cards with adhesive on them which make it an excellent product to be used near plants in garden. These fly traps come with small wires for hanging the traps in place for use.
Mechanism of Action
These fly traps seem like a pretty standard product but are highly efficient in capturing even bigger flies too. Also these are reusable ones and can be easily thrown away when gets filled with insects over time.
This product is yellow colored—the reason for this is that most of the flying insects are attracted to yellow color and they cannot control themselves and keep flying towards it.
Another remarkable feature of these traps is that they are waterproof and doesn’t get affected by even heavy rain falls.
Instruction To Use
For bigger plants or trees—the wires included in the pack can be used to hang the yellow stick traps on the branches.
For small plants: Place these cards tightly on a stick, and insert it in ground.
One trap per 25 square feet (2.5 square meters) can be enough to kill flying insects.
In case of contact with the adhesive accidentally, hands can be easily washed with vegetable oil or waterless hand cleaner.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the different types of fly traps available in the market?
There are a number of fly traps available in the market for trapping these annoying little flying insects. Some of these are container traps; others are adhesive traps and electric traps are quite popular too. Each type has its own benefits but the mostly common used are container traps and adhesive solution traps but the decision should be yours according to the fly situation faced by you.
- Container Traps: These types of fly traps are mostly used by the consumers as they can be used indoors without hassle. Containers may be plastic ones, bags or bottles. Within the container a liquid or attractant made up of food or food materials which are liked by flies is used. Flies in search of food come near the container, gets trapped inside and die–making it very easy to either dispose them off by rinsing or by disposing off the container itself.
- Adhesive Solution Sticky Traps: These traps work by trapping flies with adhesive papers, ribbons or stick fly traps. Such traps are easy to use and dispose off but are not pleasant to look at—that’s why are not widely used indoors by many consumers.
- Zappers: These are the fly traps that work by attracting flies towards them with the help of blue glowing UV-light. When the flies come near in contact with the machine, it then uses electricity to kill them on contact. These fly zappers were widely used indoor fly trap due to their fast mechanism of action but were soon replaced by other options as these after killing the flies release the remaining particles in air, making it unsuitable to use. There are other kinds of UV light traps available in market but they contain sticky glue materials for trapping flies which are killed later.
- UV light traps: Such type of traps use UV light source in the form of a bulb. Insects especially flies have a special attraction for heat and light. They when come in contact with the bulb, there is a sticky coating on a card wrapped around. Flies upon contact get stick onto the adhesive card and thus die eventually.
Can flies die due to dehydration?
Yes flies can die due to lack of water—that is why they tend to land on moist sticky glue traps too. Flies can only live 48 hours without water, according to WHO
Do fly traps only trap or kill flies also?
Once flies gain entry in traps, it becomes impossible for them to leave resulting in death ultimately. Some type of fly traps are also commercially available which only collect the flies which then can be released outside without killing them. However, fly traps are an effective tool to get rid of flies both indoors and outdoors.
There are a number of fly traps available in market. Some of them are designed to be used indoors and some are specific to be used outdoors.
Most of the products contain natural attractants are not harmful; and very effective in trapping flies, thus keeping these disturbing insects out of the way.
There are different types of fly traps also. Some of these are UV light ones, some have small containers as a trap with attractant solution in those, and others are glue based or stick ones.
All of these serve their purpose according to the fly situation one deals with. Therefore, you should be able to access which type of product can be best suited according to your needs–the choice should be according to your situation.