Did you know that one flea can become 1000 fleas in just 21 days?
Pet owners are probably familiar with this phenomenon; no matter how many preventative steps you take, fleas still seem to find your home.
Fleas are common in households with pets. They are parasites which attach themselves to your pet’s skin and burrow deep under their fur. Fleas can cause allergic dermatitis in pets as well as human beings.
There are hundreds of flea traps available in the market but not all of them are effective. We conducted an extensive research on electronic flea traps available in the market and compared the flea traps on nine categories including price, ease of use, toxicity, and customer reviews.
After this thorough review, three products emerged as the clear victor. We categorized them as follows:
Table of Contents
Why Buy a Flea Trap?
Once a flea comes inside your house, it is hard to stop a flea infestation. Fleas hide inside your pet’s fur, your carpets, and floor cracks.
They lay eggs at a fast pace, and soon one flea becomes a whole colony. If you are taking preventative steps but are still unable to stop fleas from entering your home or your yard. Then you should consider using electronic flea traps.
Electronic flea traps are devices which lure and trap fleas by emitting a heat and light signature. According to experts, electronic flea traps are not enough to eliminate a flea infestation, but they are useful for preventing fleas from entering your home.
Flea traps will attract and kill the stray flea as soon as it enters your home, before it has a chance to reproduce.
1. Victor® M230A
- Economical Price
- Refills are readily available at an economical price
- Refills are easy to insert in the electronic trap
- Its free of chemicals – safe for children and pets
- It is portable – can be placed anywhere inside the house
- It uses heat, light, and color signature to attract fleas which is effective
- Helps monitor flea population in the house
- It is for indoor use only
- Requires assembly
- The discs have to be changed frequently
- Some customers complain that the color of the light bulb does not add any value
- Customers have to buy multiple devices to trap fleas which decreases economic value
How to Use Victor® M230A?
The Victor® M230A Ultimate Flea Trap is an easy-to-use product, but it has to be assembled before use.
Instructions on how to use the trap are clearly given on the box and the instruction manual. We are explaining the steps here for your convenience:
- Unbox the flea trap. You will get one flea trap, 2 free glue boards, and one light bulb.
- Remove the protective covering from the glue board and insert it into the bottom tray of the flea trap.
- Insert the light bulb in the holder located on the top part of the flea trap.
- Join the bottom and top part of the flea trap.
- Plug the flea trap in a standard outlet and turn it on with the on-switch.
- Remove the glue board once it has been filled.
- Insert a new glue board and turn the trap on again.
- Repeat the above steps as required.
What to Expect After you Turn it On?
After you turn it on, the flea trap will emit a bright yellowish light, much like a night light. The color of the light, the heat from the light, and supplementary heat signature in the trap will attract fleas.
Adult fleas will come towards the flea trap and will stick to the glue board. They will not be able to move. You can throw out the glue board once it is filled with fleas.
The number of fleas the trap catches depends on the number of fleas in your home. People with pets report that the flea trap catches between 90 -130 fleas within a week.
Victor® M230A Ultimate Flea Trap is a product of Safer® Brand. Safer® Brand has over 30 years of experience in pest control. It is an organic certified pest control solutions company which has been offering innovative pest control solutions to its customers since inception.
What is more, Safer® Brand is a brand under the umbrella of Victor®, a pest control company which revolutionized the rodent control market over 100 years ago. Safer® Brand uses the organizational knowledge of its parent corporation to bring affordable and effective pest control solutions to its customers.
The Victor® M230A Ultimate Flea Trap is a clear example of their innovative capability.
2. Aspectek Sticky Dome
- Plug and Go
- Can kill Cockroach, Bed Bug, Fly, Flea, Gnat
- Refills are available at affordable prices online and in local stores
- It requires minimal assembly – it is very easy to use.
- It has no chemical – does not pose health hazards for pets and humans
- Comes with 4 glue discs, super grabber glue.
- It attracts other insects (pests) apart from fleas. You will also get rid of mosquitoes, bed bugs, and ticks.
- It monitors and prevents flea infestation
- It has a 360-degree opening which is effective for catching a large number of fleas
- It is bigger then its peers – catches more fleas
- Odorless, Non-toxic
- There is no switch on and off
- Some customers complain that the light is too bright
- Some customers complain that the light bulb has to be changed frequently
How to Use Aspectek Sticky Dome?
The Aspectek Sticky Dome is very similar to Victor® M230A. It is used in almost the same way.
The instructions are given in the instruction manual, which is provided with the box. We are detailing the steps here for your convenience:
- The Aspectek Sticky Dome is available in two packings: in the standard box, you will receive 2 traps, 4 free glue disc boards, and 2 light bulbs. On the other hand, in the economy box, you will receive two traps, 2 glue boards, and one light bulbs.
- The flea trap has two parts; the bottom part is gray in color while the top part is white. You will peel the protective covering from the glue board and place it in the bottom part.
- You will place the bulb in the holder in the top part of the flea trap
- You will assemble the flea trap by joining the top and bottom sections of the trap
- Plug the flea trap in a standard outlet and turn it on
- Replace the glue board with a new one after the prescribed time.
- Repeat the above steps as required.
What to Expect After you Turn it On?
It does what it’s supposed to do!
You didn’t expect that this traps alone can resolve your problems against fleas and some insects.
Just like Victor® M230A, the Aspectek Sticky Dome will produce a bright yellow light when turned on. However, unlike Victor® M230A, this flea trap produces a sweet odor to lure fleas.
The Sticky Dome is portable; you can easily place it anywhere inside your home. If you have purchased the economy pack, then you can place the traps at strategic positions for maximum effect.
Typically, customers catch more fleas if they place the flea traps near carpeted areas, couches, and their pet’s beds.
If the trap is working, then you will see fleas caught in the glue boards a few hours after installation. On average, you can catch 100 – 150 fleas on one board within a week.
The Aspectek Sticky Dome has a Conformité Européenne (CE) Marking which signifies that it conforms to the European standards of safety and quality. It also has a Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHs) Marking, which shows that the product is safe for human use.
These certifications assure the customer that the product they are buying is non-toxic and reliable. Customers can buy this without worrying about unlisted chemicals in the product.
You can fill the bottom with some water mixed with dish soap.The dish soap makes them sink so the fleas can’t get out. It worked even better.
Ideal gift for your dog lover friends.
3. Happy Jack Flea Beacon
- It is completely chemical-free
- Apart from fleas, it also traps other insects
- It has a long life – customers report that they have used flea beacon for over a year successfully.
- Strong adhesion of the glue strips – the glue is super sticky, and no flea can get out once it has been trapped
- It works immediately – catches fleas within hours of being installed
- It can be installed outdoors as well as indoors.
- It is expensive
- Many customers do not know about the product because of poor marketing
The TownHustle team has chosen Happy jack Flea Beacon as the editor’s choice and the third top pick of an electronic flea trap.
Our Survey showed that the Happy Jack Flea Beacon is not as popular as Victor® M230A, Aspectek Sticky Dome, and even some other traps in the market.
The team has concluded that the reason Happy Jack Flea Beacon is not popular in consumer households is that Happy Jack mainly markets its products to small business owners. Happy Jack was established in 1946, and since then its products have been the top choice for:
- Kennel Owners
- Outdoor Sportsmen
Happy Jack Flea Beacon is more expensive than the other two devices. It is not readily available and is not popular with the customers.
Why have we chosen it as our top pick?
Because it is effective. The TownHustle team has found that the Flea Beacon is super effective in catching fleas; it caught more fleas than the Victor® M230A and Aspectek Sticky Dome in one week.
The ultimate goal of a flea trap is to prevent the breeding cycle of fleas by catching adult fleas as soon as they enter your premises. Happy Jack Flea Beacon does this job better than the other two traps.
The TownHustle team feels that if Happy Jack, Inc. makes their product easily accessible to consumers, it will be a top-rated product. As it is, we have placed it on number three.
Other things we liked and did not like about the product are:
How to Use the Happy Jack Flea Beacon?
Happy jack has a square design as compared to the round design of Victor® M230A and Aspectek Sticky Dome Flea Trap. Other than that, it is assembled and operated in exactly the same way.
After you have unboxed the package, you will place a sticky glue strip on the lower part of the trap and fix the light bulb on the upper part.
Join the two sections and plug the flea trap in a standard outlet. Once the sticky strip is filled with fleas, replace it with a new strip.
If you are using the trap inside your home, then a glue stick may be usable for one week. However, for outdoor use, you will have to change it within the week because the trap will attract other insects as well.
What to Expect After you Turn it On?
The Happy Jack Flea Beacon produces a yellow glow. It is very effective, and you can expect to see fleas trapped in it only a few hours after turning it on.
On average it catches, 200-220 fleas within a week. If it is placed outside, it may even catch more.
The happy Jack Flea Beacon has ‘supper grabbing’ glue strips. These glue strips catch the flea when it lands on the trap. Once the flea has landed on the strip, it cannot free itself.
The flea beacon’s super glue is so effective it traps large insects like moths as well. One customer reported that she even caught a rat with this trap!
Pro Tips for Increasing the Effectiveness of Flea Trap
Even the best and most expensive flea traps will fail if you use them incorrectly. While the choices we have recommended all include easy to use products, you must adhere to the following guidelines when using flea traps:
- Place traps away from doors, doorways, and areas with high foot traffic.
- Place the traps in a location which is most likely to attract fleas – usually, this is where your pet likes to sit, eat, or sleep.
- Avoid disturbing your trap – let it work in peace.
- Avoid moving your trap too often as well.
- Flea traps are more effective during night
Remember! Flea traps will not help you get rid of a full-blown infestation. They are effective in preventing flea infestations by catching adults’ fleas before they breed.
Do not expect the flea trap to remove thousands of fleas from your house as they don’t catch larvae and eggs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best flea trap?
Although most people choose the Victor traps, we prefer the Happy Jack Flea Beacon. You can find out why in the dedicated part of this article.
Do flea traps really work?
Yes they works. Flea traps are not enough to eliminate a flea infestation, but they are useful for preventing fleas from entering your home.
Why do fleas jump into soapy water?
Flea jump also into the water but they can bounce right off the surface because their weight is too little compared of the surface tension of the water. The dish soap reduces the surface tension of the water so the fleas can slip through and drown.
Electronic flea traps are an affordable and effective method of preventing a flea infestation. TownHustle has provided you a detailed review of the best electronic flea traps available in the market.
We have armed you with the information; the only thing you have to do is step out and buy trap or maybe stay in and order our top choice on Amazon!