We had bed bug infestation last year. It was terrible at night! Bed bug bites were all over the place on my body. My wife asked me to call an exterminator.
Exterminator inspected my house and guess what? They told me it would cost $2,000 to treat entire house for bed bug ouch!
I couldn’t afford it, so I thought if we can do it ourselves and cheaper. I tried different spray and bait products. I did my research before using them and used pesticides which was approved by EPA. They did work to some extent but our infestation was severe and i was told by exterminator that it can only be handled by steam.
Table of Contents
Best Bed Bug Steamer
I thought, if I can buy a steamer, I can use it for years to come and I don’t have pay exterminator each year! Plus I can rent it out or give it to my friends so it’s a win win.
I would like to share my experience with you guys. So you don’t have to do extensive research before buying a bed bug steamer. In a hurry ? Here is our Top-3 favorite list of bed bug steamers.
You might be asking, steaming is sufficient to control bed bug infestation?
It’s a good idea to use steam to kill bed bugs, simply because you are not using chemicals. Second, it has proven to be effective. If you have a normal steamer in your home for other cleaning purposes, this is probably not going to cut it. The heat is probably not going to be high enough.
Bed bugs won’t be able to withstand heat that is above 118°F degrees. What is better about steam is that it has the ability to penetrate into the areas that would be impossible for you to get to; it can penetrate through the cloth covering of mattresses to reach the bugs residing inside furniture and mattresses as well.
Why Should You Steam Bugs?
Steaming is a good idea as it can serve as bug eliminator as well as a sanitizing agent against bugs and other small pests. It cleans very minutely by taking into account all the areas of multiple surfaces.
What to Look For in a Steamer? (Buyers Guide)
Before picking any steam cleaner you must make a decision what is its main task will be.
- To only treat bed bugs you can go into the operating temperature and steam pressure.
- For multi-usage (bedbugs and cleaning) it is important to look other details such as accessories and tank size.
It’s important to understand the prerequisites before purchasing a bed bug steamer. Here is the list of aspects that you need to look at to make a perfect choice.
Look out for pounds per square inch (PSI)
This feature relates to the strength of the pressure at which the steam is released out. Therefore the higher the PSI, the extra pressure the steamer is able to apply and the more useful the steamer will be in penetrating into different surfaces.
You should also see for the water tank size. It should be wider as it can hold more water thus producing more steam
Note the time taken by steamers to understand how much time is required to convert the water into steam
Cord and Steamer hose
Check for the cord length and hose in order to evaluate is accessibility and moving ability around the house as a short cord and steamer hose indicates that you will need to repeatedly move the Device the entire time you are working.
See for the accessories that are offered with the steamer. Quantity and Quality both in terms of utilization of different surfaces like mattresses, cloth covers, carpets, floors and pillows.
Warranty and guarantee
Always pick up the one with guarantee and warranty in order to claim any unforeseen early damages after the purchase.
1. Vapamore MR-100 Primo
- Highly rated, best in Class steam cleaner.
- An hour worth of steam per tank is among the highest in the industry.
- Cleans & Sanitizes Without Chemicals
- Self contained storage for provided 21 accessories
- Comes with Adjustable Pressure/steam output Control
- It is a relatively expensive steamer than other options in the market
- It sometimes seep out or spit out excessive water
This device is awarded as the best steam cleaner in class by one of the leading consumer rating digest.
It is considered as a premier bed bug treating tool as well as considered as deep cleaning and disinfecting dry vapor system. This bed bug steamer has a regulating steam output from its hose and add-on that kills bed bugs and their eggs right away. The steamer also features a 1.5 liter stainless steel boiler that is heated to 250 F which is enough to kill and steam these nasty bugs with its super cleaning power up to 60 minutes per tank.
Bed Bugs, Dust Mites, Dirt and Grime and other crawling pest and Bacteria.
- Its product dimensions are 20x18x12 inches
- Comes with Power Supply: 120V 60Hz
- Tank size in gallons is 1.5 liters
- Detachable Steam Hose with a Length of 6 feet
- Its Steam Pressure is 51 PSI*
- Nozzle Tip Temperature is 210 F – 220 F
- 1500W of stainless steel boiler with Boiler Temperature of 250 F
- Length of the Power Cord is 18 feet
- Availability of 1500 Watt Water Heater
2. SF-370 Canister
- It is super light just less than 10 pounds.
- Quite Inexpensive as compared to other available options i.e. just (under $100).
- Also comes with a variety of accessories for multiple cleaning tasks.
- It includes Long power cord
- Sanitizes without the use of harsh chemicals
- The pressure of the steamer is low
- Switches quality is not up to mark and may stop working after some time
By using ordinary tap water heated to approximately 200º F, this Steam Cleaner efficiently and as expected cleans and sanitizes multiple diverse surfaces. Additionally, with professional steam power and multipurpose accessories, the SF-370 is intended for handling the most difficult cleaning tasks all the way through your house.
SteamFast SF-370WH multi purpose steam cleaner can be used in a variety of ways. A steam discharge bolt allows you to use constant steam or as regulated a steam. The 45 ounce water tank allows 45 minutes of quality cleaning time. It allows the water to heat for about 8 minutes.
Bedbugs, germs, dust mites, and allergens.
- It uses pressurized steam
- Uses power of 1500-watt with usage of Volts 120 V
- Comes up with Large Tank size that can store up to 45-ounces of water
- Supplies up to 45 minutes of nonstop steam
- Equipped with 15 handy accessories
- Offers Steam-on-demand regulating switch for steam adjustment
3. Mcculloch MC 1275
- Has a very large inbuilt capacity water tank
- Equipped with discretionary trigger lock
- Not excessively heavy
- Advance accessibility through its super long cord, hose and 2 extension wands that facilitates users to reach easily back in corners, down on the floor and up high without having to elongate, mount or crouch.
- Aided with 18 multiple accessories for effective results
- May not be very durable.
- There are no replacement parts available if something becomes damaged or missing
- Steam does not seem hot enough to some people.
The working of this efficient steam cleaner is quite simple. It heats water and ready the steaming less than 8 minutes and offers around 45 minutes of continuous effective sanitizing steaming action. The tank is 48 ounces. It comes with 18 different added accessories along with a tremendous long power cord (15.7 ft.) and a 9 ft hose for increasing the accessibility for cleaning chores.
Kills bed bugs, dust mites, and other allergens
- Extra large capacity tank that holds 48 ounces of water
- Offers 45 minutes of continuous cleaning
- Comes with optional lockable steam trigger for regulating steam cleaning
- An extra-long power cord 15.7-foot power cord and approximately 9-foot steam hose supply is added
- Steam Rate is up to 33-37 g/min.
- Offers Steam Pressure of 43 psi
- The device weighs just under 15 pounds
4. Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner
- Little-moisture superheated steam
- Comes with Built-in funnel
- Has Retractable handle
- It has very Smooth rolling wheels
- Its Triangular tool allows deep cleansing in to corners where pests and dust likes to gather
- Quite and smooth cleaning
- It has an excellent long cord and steam hose lets users cover more areas for cleaning.
- Three year warranty is offered on most apparatus whereas the steam cleaner tank is covered for a lifetime
- Its Plastic components can bend, warp or even break under the high temperature
- The tank may leak because of plastics
- Missing an indicator of water level to gauge remaining time left
- Waiting time is approximately 20 minutes to refill water
The super high steam produced by this steamer makes sure the perfect elimination of bed bugs, germs and bacteria at the rate of 99.99%. Its tools are offers value to its ability in using regular towels for floor pads if you would like that better. This steam cleaner release a smaller amount water than others available in the market thus making it particularly good for use on bed mattresses, rugs and carpets, curtains and other furniture items
Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner gives you deep clean and are capable of, ultra-reliable do-it-all cleaning and hygiene solution. It is particularly designed for optimum performance, simplicity and strength, this steam cleaner provides the cleaning power of much superior proficient units. It can effortlessly eliminate dirt, grease, and stains while killing 99.9% of microbes including pests.
Viruses, pathogens, bedbugs, mold and other undesirables from any type of Surface
- Product Dimensions are 10.5″ x 10.5″ x 9.5″
- Comes with Extension Tubes of length 3’ft
- Its Hose Length is 6’6’’
- Comes with Power Cord Length of 16’
- Uses electric Power supply of 120V AC, 60Hz, and 1500W.
- Offers Steam Pressure approximately up to 50 psi
- Steam Temperature is up to 275°F
- Boiler capacity range is Boiler Capacity: 54 oz. / 1600 ml
- Takes about 7 minutes for heating water
- Provides continuous steam up to 50 minutes approximately
- Weighs about 9 lbs
5. PureClean XL Rolling
- Suitable for home furniture both indoors and outdoors
- Safe to use on a variety of surfaces including granite and ceramic tile, water-resistant wood flooring, shield tiles, carpets, and moist absorbent wallpaper
- 16-foot power cord with a cord wrap for compressed storing capacity
- Comes with a 5 year warranty
- Not very durable as reported in reviews that have to be careful in pressing the extended handle as too much strength easily break it.
- Does not have a “ready to use” signal or light so user gets confused sometimes
- Very thin plastic is used on its components
This rolling steam cleaner has a big water tank that offers up to 45 minutes of continuous employing of steam. It is easily moveable as it has rotating wheels attached to it and a 16-foot cord. It requires minimum power-outlet shifting.
Bed bugs, dust mites, mosquitoes, bacteria and other viruses
- Product Dimensions are 15.7″ x 11″ x 13″
- Comes with an Extension Wand Length of 3ft
- Runs on electric Power 120V AC, 60Hz, 1500W
- Has a Boiler Capacity of 1.5L (1500ml)
- Requires Heating Time of 8 min approximately
- Offers 45 minutes of steam time
- Covers Steam Output of 1.2 oz/min
- It Weight about 9lbs
- Extra Power Cord Length is about 16ft
Safety Measures For Using A Steamer
Along with the benefits do not forget to take safety precautions while steaming the bugs and cleaning your house as steaming particularly can be very dangerous if the unit is not properly operated. Therefore list of precautions include
- Reading the user manual very carefully by understanding and clearing out each point
- Follow the manufacturer’s directions to use
- Be very careful in refilling the tank as the previous steam still remains under pressure
- Direct the steam away from the place you have position yourself as the high steam can burn you badly
- When dealing with microfiber fabrics, always direct the steam in the same direction of the microfiber.
- Always remember that initially few Steamers can release hot water when you start them up, or once the steamer is not functional for steaming for a while. Therefore, directing the steaming wand at a towel at first start will let you to detain this hot water.
- Never use a pin-point steam nozzle by making certain that you use a nozzle to dole out the steam at lower pressures such as a ground or upholstery attachment. As, using the Pin point nozzles can puff the bed bugs away thus letting them escape in resulting their chances of survival
Handheld vs. Canister Models
When searching for a bed bug steamer, you’ll find handheld and canister models. Canister-style steamers look just like their regular canister vacuum counterparts, but the nozzle shoots out pressurized steam instead of the usual suction function.
Choosing the right model of bed bug steamer depends on the extent of bed bug problem you are dealing with .If the infestation of bed bugs very mild and restricted to a room, a handheld steamer may be the better choice.
As they’re really handy, easily moveable and produces enough steam to eliminate the bed bugs. They will get the job done without getting into the relatively expensive model details having canister and hose.
However, if the bedbug problem is more than an average infestation and is widespread in more than one living, then handheld steamers might be a smaller choice in size to get rid of these pesky creatures. In such scenarios purchasing a canister-style steamer model might be your best decision.
As these steamers have much larger water tanks and generally have more potent functional motors for generating much higher steam temperatures and pressure to kill and penetrate into multiple surfaces effectively.
But these models are heavier and not easily movable yet very useful for cleaning and sanitizing the entire crib and other spacious living areas. Also canister model steamers will allow you to take care of your house against these bed bugs for a longer span of time before requiring a refill for water tank.
Wrapping Up Thoughts
You need to know that purchasing a steam cleaner doesn’t have to always very confusing. All you need to do is setting a cost effective budget and making your requirements clear. You need to look for the model that best matches your needs in terms of its functions, usage and accessories equipped with the model.
Also, you should know that all kinds of steamers always leave behind some moisture particles and there also there are some fabrics that you should not steam to clean as there are chances that you will end up damaging them. Therefore do not forget to mop up surfaces once the steamer is turned off and switch on the fans to air dry any other surfaces that might feel a little wet.
Again, still if you are not satisfied with the results or if you do not get the desired results after giving your best shot against the bed bugs, then the best decision is considering a professional help. A professional will not only help you in eradicating the bedbugs completely but also offer the preventive measure for their potential call backs